Music is the Universal Language
Welcome! I am a passionate cello instructor based in New York with 10 years of teaching experience and I welcome you to my Private Cello Studio. I believe that everyone has a natural musical ability that has potential to be discovered. My aim is to help my students become confident in their musical language and to further explore their passion and interests!
My teaching philosophy stems from my training at The Juilliard School, Colburn School, and Manhattan School of Music. I combine principles of musical sensibility and character, strong technical foundations, efficient time management, and mind-body awareness to provide a holistic, well-rounded training for my students.
Whether you are an adult, student, or a parent searching for a dedicated teacher, rest assured you will have engaging, encouraging, and stimulating lessons with me. I introduce healthy posture and practice habits to my students and provide in-depth study of exercises, scales, and repertoire to have a fulfilling learning environment.
Here are some of the basic principles we explore in our lessons:
- Technique: Develop a healthy posture, left and right hand foundation through scales and exercises
- Repertoire: Explore standard works for cello ranging from Suzuki Methods and Bach Suites
- Practice Routine: Create an engaging, personalized practice schedule that is time-efficient
- Performances: Prepare for upcoming events including performances and auditions
- Musicality: Deepen interpretation and musical instincts when performing
- Injury prevention: Work on relieving tension when playing, raise body awareness by incorporating Alexander Technique principles
Asides from serving as Teaching Fellow at Colburn School, I provided instructions to students of various institutions including University of Toronto, Ramón C. Cortines School of Visual and Performing Arts, Cardinal Carter Academy of the Arts, and more.
- Bachelor of Music at The Juilliard School
- Master of Music, Teaching Fellow at Colburn School
- Professional Studies at Manhattan School of Music
- Over 10 years of teaching experience
- Specialize with establishing a great foundation for beginners
- Adapt at providing personalized lessons catered towards both children and adults
- Trained by professional body tuners and Alexander Technique specialists to incorporate body, mind awareness in playing
- Have provided numerous coachings and college audition process counseling at North American institutions
Do you take students of all ages and levels?
Yes! I have experience teaching students of all ages and levels. Adults and children are all welcome for a lesson. Feel free to e-mail me for an introduction.
Are your lessons taught virtually?
Yes! Lessons are taught on Zoom, Skype, and Facetime. I am based in New York and lessons will be taught virtually during Covid-19.
How long are your lessons?
Lessons are offered for 30, 45, or 60 minutes. Group Lessons are also offered.
Which technique methods do you use?
I have my own set of scales and exercises from various methods. I use Feuillard, Cossman for daily exercises and Gruetzmacher and Popper for etudes. If you need further recommendations on scale/ etudes, contact me via e-mail.
I am interested in lessons but am not sure where to start.
No problem! Reach out to me by e-mail and let’s discuss the best way to get you started. I also offer a 30 minute trial at a discounted rate should you want a trial lesson.
What are your rates?
I am happy to discuss my rates through e-mail. My rates differ depending on the length of the lesson, needs and level of the student, and location.
What payment methods do you take?
I take Venmo for North America, Interact e-Transfer for Canada, and Paypal for International countries.
Do you also provide college recommendations and audition process feedbacks?
Absolutely. I provide consultations on audition preparation (college/ pre-college auditions, competitions) and guidance with musicianship (ear training, analysis) as well as recommendations about instruments, bows, and equipment.
For more information, click here.